Feb 3, 2009

Setsubun

On February 3rd (today) a traditional event called Setsubun is practices in Japan. On this day people practice a ceremony called Mamemaki (bean-throwing) at temples, shrines and at home to expel demons which are concidered as a symbol of misfortune and invite fortune. At the same time shouting "Oni wa soto, Fuku wa uchi!" (Devils out, happiness in). Afterwards you should pick up and eat the number of beans, which corresponds to your age.

I founded this really intresting and as good luck is always needed I wanted to try this tradition and our university gave out little bean-bags as well. But where should I throw the beans to? Home: to the floor... At the temple: no clue. I went to the shrine close to our campus and was trying to figure out what is happening but none of the people were throwing beans. So I did'nt dare to throw out any beans which was I guess better because I noticed that my little bag didn't have the number of beans which would correspond my age....how embaricing. Am I too old to study? I guess the age crisis is hitting me from outside....

So now I'm hoping that I will not face any demons soon....Wish me good luck!

1 comment: