Feb 23, 2009

Fish market, soya milk, Tokyo Tower

It’s been too long since I’ve written….sorry.

So before telling what’s up now I will go back in time. One of the must to do things in Tokyo is the Tsukiji Fish Market (http://www.tsukiji-market.or.jp). This is according to Lonely Planet and me. The guidebook suggests that you might want to be there as early as 05.00 to see the real action, which is the tuna auction. I’ve been there twice last summer and now but never that early and I’ still enjoying the place. Especially the outside market is interesting and sells all kind of things, which are related to food and fish (fishing). It’s fun to watch people and wonder around. There are good looking sushi places as well with huge lines but I’m sure they are worth it (though I’ve never tried one). Lonely Planet also suggest that don’t wear your best shoes and I do agree again as there is fish blood and other interesting things around the ground. I was happily surprised that it doesn’t smell that bad compared to the food markets for example in China. As said the outside market sells other things as well and I tried warm soya milk for 150 yen just because the old man convinced that I would look beautiful after drinking it….still waiting for that to happen. When talking about soya milk the natural one is ok but I would suggest you to taste the one that has a green tea flavor. One of the Japanese girls that I know told me that it helps you skin to look fresh and helps you to reduce your weight…I have tried to obey this advice but again nothing has happened.


Tokyo Tower “the biggest tourist trap in Tokyo” is 333 m tall. It looks like Eiffel Tower but it is 9 meters taller than it’s relative in Paris. There are two observatory decks, which are quite costly but the view is pretty nice. During clear weather you may spot Mount Fuji as we did but already at noon it vanished. If I remember correctly on Thursdays there is a jazz concert during the evening and you may enjoy the concert and night view with the same time with the same time. So, that is still on my “To do” list. There are also other options to see Tokyo through bird’s eyes. Some tall office buildings have observatory desks as well…I feel I’m writing a guidebook, which is not good. But it’s about the attractions in Tokyo…cannot help it.










1 comment:

  1. Sounding like a guide book is good ... that way I get to hear about all the things I never saw in Japan. Me and my buddy got to the fish market but way too late. It was a ghost town.

    Glad to hear you're having a good time and traveling. We're trying to do plenty of both out here also.

    ReplyDelete