Jan 25, 2009

Sunday Morning

I'm trying to wake up early during my stay here so I could explore Tokyo during the morning and then return home and study. It is getting dark already around 17.00 and I do enjoy the city better when the sun is shining but of course there are places that you need to see during the night time as well though Asakusa is not one of them.

So it is Sunday morning and after 09.00 I was headig towards Asakusa area which is also a home of Tokyo's oldest temple, Sensoji Temple (founded in the 7th century). Asakusa is full of life and it is fun to wonder around and gett lost in the side streets and back alleys (actually you're never lost here because almost every corner has an information map). For breakfast or I could say for lunch I had sembei, a rice cracker that you need to taste in this area.t Sembeis are hand-grilled over charcoal fire and the cost is 50 yen/ each. The taste...it was good but remember that they are rather small. Not really healthy lunch either and they were just crackers.

I have visited Asakusa area before and already then (in my opinion) the place was too touristic and everything is sold here. Also I have also considered Asakusa area only as a temple area but it is much more than that. As Edo rose, Asakusa emerged as a bustling commercial centre and entertainment area. For example one of the street was full of TV screens and little beting boxes and only men were walking around. Also there were big adds on adult entertainment places and plenty of people staring at them. Site that (again in my opinion) is hardly ever seen in Japan in public I mean.

After 10 minute walk I was able to find Kappabashi-dori which is the country's largest wholesale kitchenware and restaurant-supply district. But unfortunately most of the stores were closed because of Sunday. Need to go back then... I continued my walk towards Nihombashi and walked through Asakusa bashi which was full of shops with all kind of craft shops.

Some culture today and tomorrow if the weather permits I will "clime" the Tokyo Tower....

2 comments:

  1. hei
    olisiko mahdollista saada tietoa kuinka japanilaiset viettivät vuodenvaihtumista härän vuodeksi vai viettivätkö

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yo, we stayed in Asakusa when we were in Tokyo. I remember how hard it was to find anything to do around there on a Sunday night.

    Glad to see you've joined the blogosphere. I'm excited to keep up with Katja-related news! Kram!

    ReplyDelete