Jan 20, 2009

Meiji Shrine and Sushi memory stick

The fist day at the Uni, (14.1.2009)
The aim of my trip is to complete my master thesis for Lund University and the process includes a field work course in the University of Waseda in Tokyo. Waseda is one of the top privat universities which was founded in 1882, its motto is "Independence of Learning". Today the school has more than 45 000 student and the campus includes museums and several libraries.(www.waseda.jp/top/index-e.html)

I have to say that even though we had a campus tour in the first day I still have no clue where to find our buildings. We have a nice and funny professor here Mr. Mito or "Tam" as he prefers and my supervisor Vera, from Albania is so helpful and nice to work with. Our first day also included Welcome dinner with tempura in a traditional Japanese restaurant. My knees are not made for those tables....but the food was great (once again).

During my studies for the first time I will experience dormitory. I have a little room on the 7th floor which includes all I need. So far I have only met two of my roommates (Sara from Pakistan and ...from Korea. Sorry I'm just really bad with Asian names.). The kitchen area and laundry room are common and pretty handy to use though knowing Japanese would be good as all the signs are in Japanese. But we'll manage it just takes little more time to figure things out. So if you feel like calling me you may. My number is +81 3 3205 6409. Temple near by and the view is from my window...

After the campus tour my supervisor from Lund, Mayumi took us to the Meiji Shrine (www.meijijingu.or.jp/english/) to pray for our success. So according to Shinto rituals...First you should wash your hands and mouth, then throw some money, bow twice, clap twice, pray and bow and you'll have all the thigs you prayed for. You should also buy a "prediction" or maybe it is more an advice for the future...Mine says " Such is the force of water That it will with gentle pressure Shape itself to every vessel And yet pierce the ver rock" which means that "let your heart be patient and strong". Works for me....

After the traditional part we explored Harajuku the area which is known for its youth style and fashion. Weird things...definetely worth of visit. The place is full of weird looking clothing shop and people as well. You may also find a clothing chain SM2 (www.sm2.co.jp/sm2.html) which is using Finnish words as a name of the stores. My favorites are "ehkä söpö" (kind of cute) and "otan tämän" (I'll take this) the other ones are "keittiö" (kitchen) and "olohuone" (living room). Intresting...and nice looking stuff. Oh and btw you need to try the crepes in Harajuku...I had one with cheesecake, blueberries and cream...sooo good!

You may wanna walk down from Harajuku to Omotesando as the street has plenty of shops including Kiddy Land. Home of all cute cartoon characters and of course Hello Kitty. You may also purchase a memory stick that looks like a sushi or Hattivatti... ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment